Pembroke

The town was settled in 1650 from a part of Duxbury, known as “Mattakesit.” Pembroke’s first settler, Robert Parker, acquired the town, then an Native American outpost, from the Native Americans for a “sack” (that’s wine). In common with other towns on the North River, shipbuilding was a major industry. Later bog iron was mined here.

While Pembroke has grown substantially, it is still very much a rural community, very pretty- and very friendly. Many well preserved historic buildings, the town center, the still active cranberry bogs, and herring run are everyday reminders of the town’s past. Modern facilities, terrific schools, and many fine new homes complement the pleasant landscape and the predominant cape and colonial style homes. With five ponds recreational activities are obviously abundant.